Thursday, January 30, 2014

THOUGHTS ON THURSDAY (running late again)

I always try to find something 'right' that has happened in the past week and yesterday I did just that.  You may remember me saying the Council was gradually putting underground power into our suburb and about a month or two back it was actually connnected to our house so no more wires coming from the light pole over to our roof so now trees can grow without causing problems.

Yesterday I awoke at about 7am and as I was lying in bed I could hear a faint sound that went on for about half a hour.  Sort of like a motor running so I realised some time of machinery must be doing something nearby.

I forgot about it until later in the day I looked out to the street from our front verandah and realised we no longer had wires running from pole to pole in our street.  Fantastic news and now waiting for the power poles to be removed as well.  What could be more 'right' than not only having underground power to our house than at last having no power poles any more?  So 'right' for us. 

Hang on though as there is a bit of a downside to this.  Last night there was virtually no moon so after dark I peeked outside and it was PITCH BLACK.  You couldn't see your hand in front of your face!!  When Phil went out to close our gate before going to bed it was so dark he had to use a torch!!  I had noticed there were about 3 new street lights up the other end of our street and they are working but the one closer to us is not and there is still quite a gap without a street light at all.  One can't help wondering why they would take out the original lights without adequate new lighting being available.  Our end of the street is now dangerously dark. 

I've decided I won't get my knickers in a twist but give them a few days and see what happens.  If no more street lights installed then yours truly will be on the phone asking what? why? when?  Up till now everything has gone smoothly so a little patience may be needed as it is with everything these days.

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Hmmm yes, well, my recollection is that suburban street lighting in OZ is never THAT great at the best of times, so the loss of any will indeed be noticeable. I agree a few days grace will reveal the end result and I do hope that it comes 'right'! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually street lighting in Perth has improved greatly over past years so no complaints about visibility.
      All is going to be OK as I managed to speak to a gentleman from Western Power today and we are to have our own street light on our verge. They couldn't erect it until the overhead lines had been removed. We can wait a short while and all will be well.

      Delete
  2. Underground power is great...no street lights may be a bit dangerous BUT...could you see the stars...did it make sleeping easier? Could be another right depending on how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was so dark I didn't venture out far enough to look at stars and I think Phil was more concerned to get to the gate and back without tripping over something.
      I am not sure how e will go with a street light outside our place but there are lots of trees in our front garden and our blinds in the bedroom are sunblock so should be no trouble sleeping.

      Delete
  3. I am envious of your underground power, our street still has poles galore. I to wouldn't be happy about the lack of street lights. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is going to make a big difference to our streetscape as well as being so much more convenient re trees etc.
      Seems all will be well re street lights soon and also there should be a moon as well to light our way while we wait. xxx

      Delete
  4. Hooray for underground wiring!!
    It really is the best, you just need to be careful when digging a garden if you are in a new housing division. (find out exactly where the wires run)
    Perhaps the globe in the street lights have burnt out or are being replaced with more environmentally friendly ones and they haven't got to your end of the street yet, but if you don't have lights in a couple of days, then please do phone the council. It isn't safe to be in such darkness.
    Your latest book arrived yesterday, it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All new suburbs have underground power and I guess it's the same as with water pipes, telephone lines etc etc about being careful where they are.
      The street lights are all new ones but Phil discovered last night that one of the 4 new lights is not working and I reported this today when speaking to the chap from Westen Power. He will report it but said when we see the guys erecting the new street light outside our place to mention it to them as well.
      Glad the book arrived OK and hope you enjoy it. I don't think there is one of his books I could say I've actually not enjoyed.

      Delete
  5. Our street lights are so widely spaced, and so dim, to be of little use at all. In my block of around 20 or so houses (on my side of the street) there are two street lights, which only cast a dim glow directly underneath.

    I'm so envious of your lack of above-ground cabling, I'd love to see street trees allowed to grow free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping we may have street trees as we live in Joyce AVENUE and by definition an avenue is a tree-lined street!!
    Yesterday all the old wooden poles were removed and they are in the process of installing a new street light right outside our house and the one that didn't work has been fixed so everything is coming together now.

    ReplyDelete