Sunday, December 13, 2015

SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT (3)

I feel this says all that can be said about a cat.

"MY SUMMER IN A GARDEN...  Charles Dudley Warner

I hesitate to speak of his capacity for friendship and the affectionateness of his nature, for I know from him his own reserve that he could not care to have it much talked about.  We understood each other perfectly, but he never made any fuss about it; when I called his name and snapped my fingers, he came to me; when I returned home at night we was pretty sure to be waiting for me near the gate and would rise and saunter along the walk, as if his being there was purely accidental - so shy was he commonly of showing feeling.  There was one thing he never did - he never rushed through an open doorway  He never forgot his dignity.  If he had asked to have the door opened, and was eager to go out he always went out deliberately; I can see him now, standing on the door step, looking about at the sky as if he was thinking whether it were worth while to take an umbrella, until he was near to having his tail shut in.



(I notice that Candy never rushes out a door one opens for her.  Perhaps this is normal for all cats?)

6 comments:

  1. Angel never rushes out either, but he has occasionally rushed in when spooked by something he's not familiar with. And later in the evenings, sometimes I'll call him in and he'll rush across the grass straight into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder did you notice my editing was rather bad but have now corrected two typos.
      Candy does the same. Suddenly the cat door opens and in she comes in a rush often looking behind her. I am sure they see and hear things way beyond our own faculties capacity for such things.
      I must admit that 99 times out of a 100 Candy will come when called. In many ways she is rather doglike in obedience.

      Delete
  2. Both Jazz and Jewel do rush out in the morning. And stop, less than ten feet outside. They then come back in and wait for me to go out with them. They also sometimes rush in. And at others take their own sweet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy will often go outside but within minutes she will come back in and ask one of us to go outside with her. I think she likes us there in case there are any other cats lurking. One did try to follow her through the cat door one day but we frightened it off and it's not happened again,

      Delete
  3. I think it is normal for all cats......they look about them for predators.

    ReplyDelete