Thursday, April 28, 2016

DID YOU KNOW?

The SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE (which is the same age as me) is a steel through arch bridge across Sydney Habour that carries rail, vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic between the Sydney central business district and the North Shore.  The dramatic view of the bridge, the harbour and the nearby Sydney Opera house is an iconic image of Sydney, and Australia.  The bridge is nicknamed "the Coathanger" because of its arch-based design or is simply called "the Bridge". by Sydney residents.


Under the direction of Dr J.J.C. Bradfield of the NSW Department of Public works, the bridge was designed and built by British firm Dorman Long and Co Ltd of Middlesborough and was opened in 1932.  The bridge's design was influenced by the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City.  It is the sixth longest spanning-arch bridge in the world and the tallest steel arch bridge, measuring 134 metres (440 ft) from top to water level. It was also the world's widest long-span bridge. at 48.8 metres (160 ft) wide, until construction of the new Port Mann Bridge in Vancouver was completed in 2012.


At each end of the arch stands a pair of 89 metre (202ft) concrete pylons, faced with granite.  The pylons were designed by the Scottish architect Thomas S. Tall, a partner in the architectural fim John Burnet and Partners.  This pylon contains a public lookout tower.


Some 250 Australian Scottish and Italian stonemasons and their families relocated to a temporary settlement in Moruya, NSW, 300km (164 miles) south of Sydney, where they quarried around 635,664 cubic feet of granite for the bridge pylons.  The stonemasons cut, dressed and numbered the blocks, which were then transported to Sydney on three ships built specifically for this purpose.  The Moruya quarry was managed by John Gilmore, a Scottish stonemason who emigrated, with his young family to Australia in 1924, at the request of the project managers.  The concrete used was also Australian made.

There is so much more to learn about this bridge on Wikepedia if you are interested.

I only spent a few hours in Sydney in the 1980s en route home from New Zealand and we spent most of it on the harbour taking in the sights which were very beautiful.  I didn't much like the city itself as there were far too many people for my liking as back then Perth was still quite a sleepy hollow, unlike it is now.

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Heheheh, some from Sydney might still look upon Perth as 'sleepy'!!! I do miss my Sydney. When I first moved there, I rented for a few months in North Sydney and walked to work in the city over the bridge. Have been up that tower too - but would draw the line at the more recent innovation of climbing the arch... safety line or no safety line!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess a lot depends on what one is used to although I love Melbourne which is also a big city. Maybe it is the layout of the city that makes the difference.
      Seems lots of folk do climb the arch these days but even when young, it was not something I would have chosen to do.
      Yes, compared with Sydney I guess we are rather more low key. xx

      Delete
  2. .. I didn't know about the stonemasons and their families relocating to Moruya... I went up the Pylon lookout many years ago, it was great. Hugs.. Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that part of the bridge story rather intriguing. I can imagine the view from the tower would be fantastic. xx

      Delete
  3. I didn't know this much about the bridge, so thank you. I actually thought it was a little younger. I've seen it for myself, passing under on a ferry doing a tour of the harbour, but have never crossed it. I didn't know trains used the bridge, I thought it was only cars and pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could provide a little more info about the bridge.
      Suggest your check it out on Wikipedia cos there is much more to learn about it and yes, it is quite old...like me.

      Delete
  4. That's amazing. Thanks for posting information on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting. You can find out much more my googling it. I found it quite fascinating.

      Delete