Saturday, September 24, 2016

THINKING ALLOWED

Lots of mixed thoughts these past few days:

Thinking of daughter and her hubby visiting B K and K in New Jersey.  After hearing about the bombing in New York and New Jersey I was so pleased to know they arrived safely and they appear to be having a wonderful time.  I miss them but with pics of them appearing on Facebook it still keeps them close.  This is a picture K posted of where they had lunch at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly.   Their meals sounded delicious: crab cakes for Karen and scallops on quinoa for her hubby.  (one day I will find out what all these new 'wonder' foods are).


Yesterday was my son's 59th birthday.  I sent him a nice birthday card but whether or not he will even bother opening it I have no idea.   It's hard to believe that the last time I saw him he was only 44.  I am ever grateful to his wife for keeping in touch via email and recently sending me a photo of the four of them taken on her birthday in July.   Steve hasn't changed all that much over the years and still has his beard and moustache....they suit him.   I put in the card "One day....perhaps....ever hoping."  Who knows what goes on in that head of his.....certainly not me.  Will we ever find out his reason for cutting all contact with everyone except his immediate family?

Also yesterday Phil paid an early visit to the dental clinic.   A few days ago he discovered a small lump on his top gum.   It didn't ache but was a little sore when he pressed on it.  A couple of months back he had a part tooth removed in the same area and the remaining tooth sort of patched up...you know how they do that type of thing these days don't you?   Thursday night I got on to him to make a decision to do something about the lump and so I set the alarm for 7.30am so he could arrive at the clinic at 8.15am and join the queue.  They are good like that...if you need emergency dental treatment you arrive at 8.15am and as soon as a dentist in available then it's your turn.  Cost him $200 all told with $150 of it being subsidised by our state government and the other $50 will be covered by private health insurance so no cost at all to Phil.  This has been available in Western Australia for some years now and pensioners and others with health cards can take advantage of this service.


This time Phil had an older Chinese dentist attend to him who promptly decided to take out the patched up tooth as it had a crack in it.   Reading in his notes that Phil does suffer mild osteoporosis the dentist stitched the hole in the gum, where the tooth had been.  Apparently if you are inclined to osteoporosis the jawbone can become thin after a tooth is removed.  I applaud that dentist for being so up to date on how to care for people, particularly the elderly.  He also gave Phil a script for antibiotics which hopefully will cure 'the lump'.  Hopefully, in a few days, his gum will heal nicely and he will have no further problems.

It is still unseasonably cool in Perth (not one day this week has been above 20C (68F) andI am still enjoying it so much, although it is doubtful if the poor old joints are.   Problem is, once the hot weather arrives we will feel it so much more.  They say August was the hottest ever on record...worldwide that is...but it certainly wasn't hot in Perth so it must have been very hot somewhere and I don't envy them one little bit.

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Ouchies on that tooth, Phil... hope it heals fast. The big heat didn't reach Scotland either; though we did at least get some kind of summer this year. The last three days it has been back to gales and washing machine weather. No words can ease that aching heart Mimsie. Sending hugs. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yam for your understanding.
      Phil's gum healing really well even thought the stitch fell out!!!
      Still unseasonably cool in Perth but no complaints from me.
      Keep warm xxx

      Delete
  2. That's one good thing the internet is good for - keeping track of folks when they travel. Instant information! I have some quinoa in the kitchen - haven't tried cooking it though. Some kids we will never figure out, you are not alone, there are a few us out here in the same situation. Feeling the pain of that tooth, all the way over here! I hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mouth healing really well and he is following all the instructions he received which pleases me (with a little reminder from me occasionally).
      I know there are many families who suffer similar problems and many of us wonder "why?"
      I must try some of these wonder foods....one day. :)

      Delete
  3. even if one is NOT inclined to osteoporosis, the jawbone will thin over time when there is no tooth needing its support. my own jawline is uneven as I have several spaces where teeth have been pulled and the gum first shrinks away and later the bone does also. This is why people with full dentures have mouths that are sunken in, with chin and nose being much closer together, and lips barely visible as they get drawn inward when the gums recede.
    I'm glad to hear your daughter and her hubby are having a wonderful time in New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bottom jawline is like that...all bumps and lumps.
      I am so glad for K and B and the girls are showing them about everywhere.

      Delete
  4. P.S. this is why I'm determined to not have any more teeth pulled and will save to have cracked ones replaced with crowns while keeping the roots intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil has nearly all his teeth still at nearly 87 so he doesn't really have to worry about having the odd tooth out. The one that was taken out on Friday had already split in two and they'd tried to make it into a whole tooth again but it didn't last for more than a couple of months.
      I had all my top teeth out when in my late twenties and have never looked back but the bottom gum is very different. For some reason the top gum doesn't seem to have the same problems.

      Delete
  5. I am so pleased to hear that Phil got quick, and thorough treatment. I hope that lump settles quickly.
    I am also thrilled to hear that K and family are having a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stitch fell out on second day but all seems to be healing well. Phil seems to think the lump is softening so hopefully antibiotics will do the trick.
      Even though we are both diabetics we both seem to heal well thank goodness.
      Those two travellers are really being shown the sights so hopefully lots of tales when they arrive home.

      Delete